Finally solved – Autodiscover error “The specified name is not a forest, Active Directory domain controller, ADAM instance, or ADAM configuration set.”

For a long time, my Exchange coding efforts have been hampered by this error from the Autodiscovery service:

Exception details:
Message: The specified name is not a forest, Active Directory domain controller, ADAM instance, or ADAM configuration set.

Every now and again, I’d come back to it to see if I can fix it, always without success (of course, why else would I have to keep coming back?)  Well, today I fixed it.  You might ask why didn’t I just Google it?  I did, of course, but there was only one single result (in the MS Technet Forum), and that had no resolution.  Once more, I thought I’d go through the configuration guides, but this time I read one I’d not read before.  It said that the first thing that Autodiscover does is look for the DNS record at autodiscover.yourdomain.com .  Interesting, I thought.  I haven’t created that DNS record.

My hopes were high as I created the internal record, and tried to get EWS Editor to open the Default Exchange Service.  Once more it failed.  Desperately, I pinged the name.  The ping failed.  I remembered that I had had to configure my workstation DNS server list NOT to look at my local DNS server, because Windows 2008 Server is currently not working very well for me in this respect.  And then it hit me (hand slaps forehead).  No wonder it’s not working – it’s not even checking my internal DNS records.  I changed the NIC’s DNS server lookup order to put my internal DNS server first, and it worked!

Now, then.  Am I the only Exchange coder to have such a setup for my NIC?  It’s hard to imagine that I am, and yet I got only a single result when I searched for that error message.

Anyway, hope this helps somebody.

By the way, I removed the autodiscover.yourdomain.com that I created earlier, and it still manages to work without it.


Tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Finally solved – Autodiscover error “The specified name is not a forest, Active Directory domain controller, ADAM instance, or ADAM configuration set.”

  1. Carlos says:

    Other thing to check is the SCP configuration. I had to go to the Domain Controller’s “Active Directory Sites and Services” to make sure the internal Autodiscover URL was the one the Exchange server was using. Issue was solved after I changed the right attribute.

    The change is made for the attribute called “serviceBindingInformation” and uses the format https://fqdn/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml — fqdn is the one for the Exchange server. Eg. exch.abc.local or exch.abc.com

    The attribute “keywords” should say “Site=Defaulf-First-Site-Name”

    To get to the right place: Services > Microsoft Exchange > Administrative Groups > Exchange Administrative Group > Servers > Exchange server’s name > Protocols > Autodiscover > Exchange server’s name. Right click on the server, select Properties and change to the Attribute Editor tab.




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>